Tuesday, July 3, 2007

65 Mustang



http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/lane/6856/Mustang/history.htm

My 65 isn't a rare car as far as Mustangs go. It is not a matching numbers Shelby, but rather a common 1965 V8 coupe. I would rather modify my car and enjoy it than to worry about the "correct" way to restore it. I like the idea of applying new technology to older vehicles, and I enjoy interchanging parts between cars. So, I've decided to modify my car accordingly. What I have created is a 35 year old shell that enjoys many benefits of today's technology. I love pulling up to a stoplight and surprising someone who thinks it's just another worn out slug!

The Restoration

When I bought the car in '93, it was a basketcase. The trunk was absolutely filled with parts that hadn't been installed yet. The engine would barely run, and I can remember flames shooting out the carburetor! Through high school, I did my best within my limited budget to restore it to driving condition. My dad & I did the bodywork and painted the car. It was a great father & son project.

The Old 289

The speed bug bit. (Read: I lost a few street races) I had to go faster!

I rebuilt the 289, cammed it, ported the heads, rebuilt the C4, and slapped a good exhaust on it. With 2.80 gears, the car ran a 15.5 (with a rt of .978) in the quarter mile. I only took it down the strip once, and I didnt get a chance to try it with the 3.50 gears. I'm sure it would have been well into the 14's. The demise of this engine came about by mismatching valvespring retainers and rail rockers. The rail rockers wore ruts into the retainers and made them weak. The retainer eventually let go, letting the valve go down and meet the piston. The piston shattered, the block cracked, and the engine was basically trashed. Needless to say, I was disappointed. And being in college, I didn't have the funds to fix it.

The 5.0
It took a year for me to complete the 5.0 swap. It was well worth it.

I spent a couple of years shopping around for another powerplant. I ran a across a good deal when my friend
rolled his '94 GT. Can you believe everyone walked away from this car without so much as a broken bone? The input shaft is broken on the T5. But the motor is in good shape with only 57k miles on it. He said he had to turn the motor off after he finished rolling it! I didn't believe him until I checked the inertia switch, and it wasn't tripped.

This engine has mind numbing brute force compared to the old 289! It is truly awesome. The 289 really had to wind up before it was in its powerband, where this thing pulls from idle to redline. I can't wait to start driving it daily and really see what it can do.

Current Setup
Engine
- fuel injected 5.0 (stock 200 rwhp)
- No air pump or smog equipment
- EGR is functional
- 1 5/8" headers, 2 1/4" exhaust, 2 chamber Flowmasters
- Low accessory load - just alternator & water pump
- Electric fan
- K&N conical filter
- 130A alternator
- Advanced timing to 14 degrees

Drivetrain
- C4 tranny with shift kit & full manual downshift
- 8" rear end - 3.50 gears (might be swapped for 3.25's)

Chassis
- Stock 65 stang - 2800 lbs.
- Battery in trunk for better weight distribution
- Compact aluminum spare
- Competition Engineering subframe connectors
- Removed heater

Suspension & Brakes
- Emergency brake handle from '94 Stang (floor mounted)
- Front Disc brakes (graciously donated from 1970 Stang)
- 15x7 Centerline aluminum rims
- 225/50-15 Dunlop GT Radials
- Quick ratio manual steering

Appearance
- Polished aluminum rims
- Custom guage panel
- Removed horse and corral in grill
- Shelby side scoops (soon to be functional)

Safety
- Custom headrests covered in white vinyl to match interior
- 3 point shoulder belts
- Dual resivor master cylinder

Creature Comforts
- CD player (and yes I cut the dash)

Future Plans

Drivetrain
- locking rear end
- Aluminum driveshaft
- Driveshaft loop

Chassis
- collapsible steering column
- Springs, shocks, sway bar, negative wedge kit, and urethane bushings.
- power brakes (Geo Metro master cylinder)

Other
- Air conditioning
- 1996 Mustang Tangerine Orange paint