Monday, August 20, 2007

Jason's Mustang Restoration Project - Collecting Parts(Part 8)

This is a set of photos showing the progress in finding some of the big body parts I need, progress on the convertible top overhaul, and other odds and ends...

August 12, 2002

Not a lot of progress to report, but I wanted to throw in a few pictures of some of the little side projects I have been working on.

I was given a set of carpeting from fellow VMF-er GeneJ, but I will probably wait for a while before I put it in.

I bought a new trunk lid and a new passenger side door. They are both nice rust free and bondo free parts. I am planning on having them both media blasted and primered soon.

I have also been trying to remove the remainder of the old torn fabric from the convertible top frame. Underneath, it is still in very good shape!

And, after thinking about it since I first bought the car, I was finally able to get some personalized license plates. Note the suspicious decimal point...

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Jason's Mustang Restoration Project - Summertime Driver(Part 7)

This is a set of photos showing some photos of the continued effort to get the Mustang as road worthy as possible, and my first car show!

June 18, 2002

Well, there has been a bit of a lull with the mounting bills that need to be paid off for all the work on the engine this past winter

But I am continuing to do some little things, like re-installing the wipers, installing the passenger seat and seat belts.

It now appears that the seats I bought have the wrong style lower cover on them. They will look ok for now, but I guess I will have to get them re-covered eventually.

The turn signal switch was replaced, and I took a picture of the old one.

I also figured out that the yellow-top ignition coil I bought was bad, as it would begin to fail badly every time it got hot.

While I was waiting for the new one to come, I reinstalled the old IC that came with the car when I got it. It worked great!

I bought a new Pertronix coil and am painting it yellow to look close to the original.

I also brought my car to the 3rd meeting of the Chicago Vintage Mustang Club (Which I am running) And took my first car show picture!

Please don't laugh too hard.

Friday, August 3, 2007

Jason's Mustang Restoration Project - The Long Road Back(Part 6)

This is a set of photos showing some photos of the effort to get the
Mustang back on the road.

April 11, 2002

Much has happened since the last update. With the help of my dad, and the Michelin man, I now have the car running pretty nice, and I have begun to re-install some of the things that will be needed to drive the car (legally) again.

I also had to bring it back to my dad's shop again to fix a leaky fuel line, and tend to a leaky brake bleeder valve.

There is still much body work to do, but I will not be able to afford it for a while and I would like to be able to drive the car occasionally while I wait.

The main project will be to re-install the front and rear bumpers and valances.
Unfortunately, it looks like most of the bolts are missing, so I am ordering new body bolt kits from AMK tonight. Also, the front bumper bracket mounting holes appear to have been damaged when the original bumper was removed. It looks like one nut has broken loose inside the frame, and another has a cut-off bolt in it.


Now I might have to drive the car back to the body shop to get them to help me put the front bumper back on!

Other items that have been added recently are the old rear-view mirror, the heat riser tube, and the new Generator shield!

I am also thinking about putting the seat belts back in, and eventually replacing the front turn signals and rear tail-lights.

April 21, 2002

Well, the body shop said they were slow right now, and I could bring the car right over, which I did.

For the first time, I decided to drive the car there under its own power! It made it with no problems, though I did learn that there will be lots of rattles to take care of, and the steering is very loose.

They fixed the front bumper mounting holes, bled the brakes, drilled holes and mounted the hi-beam switch, and checked the emergency brakes.

The emergency brakes are really messed up, as I figured they would be, and the shop said they would have to order some new parts to fix them. I will have them do that next time.

Once I got the car home, I finally was able to install the new valances and bumpers!

The car is beginning to look more like a Mustang, and actually looks pretty good from the front now!